This Research Guide provides information about civil harassment and domestic violence - related legal actions in California. It is not intended as a substitute for legal advice.
Generally, Domestic Violence refers to violence or abuse between family members or persons who are or have been in an intimate relationship. Civil Harassment pertains to all other, non-domestic types of violence and abuse situations.
NOTE: If you have an emergency or dangerous situation involving domestic violence or harassment dial 911 immediately. The telephone number for the 24-hour National Domestic Violence Hotline is 1-800-799-SAFE (1-800-799-7233).
Local Emergency Resources
There are several 24-hour services and hotlines in San Diego.
YWCA's Battered Women's Services at (619) 234-3164
San Diego County Domestic Violence 24 hour hotline at 1-888-DVLINKS
Center for Community Solutions (Coastal) at (858) 272-1767 or (888) 385-4657
Center for Community Solutions (North County) at (760) 747-6282 or (888) 385-4657
Center for Community Solutions (East County) at (619) 697-7477 or (888) 385-4657
They are all staffed with persons who can evaluate situations and make referrals for counseling, legal assistance, shelters, support groups, etc.
Additional Domestic Violence services and shelters include:
South Bay Community Services at (800) 640-2933
Women's Resource Center (North County) at (760) 757-3500
Community Resource Center (North County) at (877) 633-1112
The Legal Aid Society of San Diego runs a Domestic Violence Restraining Order clinic in Chula Vista.
- SOUTH COUNTY COURTHOUSE
- 500 Third Avenue, Chula Vista CA 91910, Room 155
- Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- You MUST SIGN IN before 3:30 p.m. for assistance.
LASSD also runs Civil Harassment/Elder Abuse clinics throughout the county.
- East County Courthouse
- 250 E. Main Street, 1st Floor, next to Dept. 1, El Cajon, CA 92020
- Monday, Wednesday & Friday 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon
- Hall of Justice Courthouse
- 330 W. Broadway, 2nd Floor next to Civil Business Office, San Diego, CA 92101
- Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon
- South County Courthouse
- 500 3rd Avenue, Room 155, Chula Vista, CA 91910
- Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
The San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program offers FREE legal assistance to low-income individuals with domestic violence restraining order hearings.
Call (619) 235-5656 ext. 124 to apply for services.
The Family Law clinic held at the Law Library also provides assistance with domestic violence.
- San Diego Law Library
- 1105 Front Street, San Diego, CA 92101
- Wednesdays 3:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- By appointment only. Call 619-235-5656 ex. 124 to schedule.
SDVLP also offers the following Restraining Order clinics:
Downtown San Diego
- Madge Bradley Building, 1409 Fourth Avenue, 4th Floor, San Diego, CA 92101
- Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- El Cajon Courthouse, 250 Main Street, El Cajon, CA 92020
- Monday & Wednesday 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Tuesday 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon
- Vista Courthouse, 325 South Melrose Drive, Vista, CA 92081
- Main Building, South Entrance
- Domestic Violence assistance: Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Civil Harassment assistance: Monday, Wednesday & Friday 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.